8 Ways to Improve Forklift Safety
Maintaining a safe work environment around forklifts is no easy task. However there are plenty of ways to create awareness about the dangers that forklifts present and how to minimize the potential for accidents that can result in injury or death, damage to your facility, equipment and financial losses.
Here are 8 ways to improve safety on and around your forklifts.
- Make sure all your forklift operators have been trained and that their refresher training is up to date.
- Teach your forklift operators the importance of daily inspections of their forklifts. Daily inspections reduce the risk of equipment failure and catch small problems before they blossom into giant ones.
- Train pedestrians working around forklifts. Remind them about the dangers of this equipment. Make sure they use safe procedures near forklift operation.
- Keep your forklift maintenance up to date. Review your planned maintenance agreement with your service provider. Ensure all standard checkpoints and unique forklift attachments are being inspected and maintained properly. If PMs aren't performed on your forklift fleet, now's a great time to look into the benefits of planned maintenance.
- Review site specific features in your facility. Be sure your operators are aware of proper forklift operation while near these potential hazards (ramps, areas where floors can be slick, floor substrates that vary, etc…)
- Make sure your forklifts have proper safety equipment. Lights, horns, back-up alarms, seat belts, fire extinguishers, etc. These safety devices must be working properly to do their job. Check them regularly.
- Make sure you have lock-out kits. Forklifts that don't pass their pre-operation inspections should be locked out immediately until repairs are made.
- Review all your forklifts for possible replacement. Older forklifts or forklifts getting up there in hours, might be potential safety threats. Review safety records and maintenance logs for your equipment.
For more forklift safety tips, read 6 Common Forklift Accidents and How to Prevent Them.