A History of Success—the Conger Story
Conger, driven by third-generation leadership, continues to grow and serve Wisconsin’s need for material handling expertise, including forklift and aerial lift sales, rentals, parts, service, and training.
In 1955, a visionary couple started Lift Parts Service Co., selling their home for $3,000 and setting up shop in a small garage next to their rented farmhouse. Lloyd Conger repaired forklifts, and Dorothy handled the office work. The business grew steadily, as did their three children. A critical decision in 1970, taking on the Toyota brand, was followed by a move to Conger’s current headquarters in Green Bay in 1975.
In 1980, Lloyd retired, giving company control to his two sons, Gary and Bruce, who bought out their parents’ interest in the business by 1984. And by 1996, Gary was sole owner. His daughter, Anika, joined the family business shortly after her undergrad work, earning her MBA in 2007. Anika was the powerful force the business required to not just grow but thrive. Conger employed 45 people when she joined and now employs 92.
Growth, even during the recession, was steady, with sales increasing 5 percent per year. While some businesses struggled, Conger invested; renovating its headquarters, building a parts and service expansion in 2011, and acquiring a Neenah location in 2005. The Wausau location was acquired in 1994.
See more in our featured article of Insight Magazine.